Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Back in the day...



I never thought that I would be using the phrase "back in the day..." I guess I am older than I think - if that makes any sense!

Well, back in the day, all signs were made by hand. With the technology we have today, hand painted signs are becoming a lost art. Historically, apprenticeships were the means of learning the craft. Learning how to manipulate a lettering brush was the core of the process. Achieving this skill alone could take years depending on the proficiency of the "master." An artist who had accomplished the skill of hand lettering signs was called a Letterhead. With the advent of computer generated signs the craft has taken a back seat position. However, most professional sign painters are quite passionate about their work; computer generated signs are both a blessing and a curse.

Murals & Design occasionally gets a request for a hand painted sign. I am in no way considered a Letterhead, but I enjoy creating this type of sign.

The two signs in the post today were hand painted for a boutique in Forney, Texas. The large sign is done on a 4'x8' sign board. I am seen putting the finishing touches on it after installation. The smaller sign for the front of the building was mounted inside an old dresser mirror frame, which added interest and a touch of whimsy.

So why do I enjoy spending the many hours required to complete a painted sign? (not to mention the stinky paint and turpentine) I guess it is because it resembles painting a mural, which I love to do. Or maybe it's because I have a touch of that passion to keep alive a craft from "back in the day."


That's all for now but as always...

Have a colorful day!

Murals & Design
Trudy 972-814-5856

2 comments:

  1. BACK IN DA DAYS.. great song by Erykah Badu, u should listen to it.
    nice blog !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there is a Groovy's in Rockwall too...

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think.