Monday, February 23, 2009

"to fool the eye..."




Trompe l'oeil is a French word meaning "to fool the eye." It is a style of painting that gives the illusion of reality.

Shadow and perspective are the two key elements to a trompe l'oeil painting. Perspective is a drawing on a flat surface of an image as it is perceived dimensionally by the eye. Shadows are added to give the appearance of directional light hitting the object.

Shadow Painting Tips: Squinting at a subject helps make the areas of light and dark clearer. Remember, shadows are not simply ‘black’. Use darker tones of the colors in the objects, or dark complementary colours.

The post today is another laundry room created by Murals & Design and also an example of tromplel'oeil. Everything below the shelves and the clock are real objects in the room. The shelves and items on them are painted.

At first glance I think I have "fooled your eye!"

That's all for now but as always...

Have a colorful day!

Murals & Design
Trudy
972-814-5856

1 comment:

  1. your blog is really beautiful,I love painting and I can't stay here and don't tell you WOW, I love your designs
    good job you are really creative.
    I hope don't you mind I would follow your blog.
    congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think.